The Cagsawa Ruins (also spelled as Kagsawa or Cagsaua) has symbolized the strength and resiliency of the Bicolanos in the face of calamities and destruction for almost two (2) centuries. The Cagsawa ruins is what remains of an 18th-century Franciscan church that was built in 1724 and destroyed in the eruption of Mayon volcano in 1814. Only the belfry of that church remains. The rest of the church collapsed and was buried in the lava.
To preserve the ruins, the area was turned into a park by the municipal government of Daraga, Albay.Albay, Bicol, Cagsawa Ruins, church, Daraga, Mayon